Graham County Hospital welcomes those who wish to give of their time and talents. Auxiliary volunteers at GCH add to the quality of healthcare by providing the many extras that enhance the services of the hospital staff.
The Graham County Hospital Auxiliary began their volunteer work in 1981. The first meeting was in June, then by September everything was in full swing. Liz VanLoenen, Mary Billips, Mary Fountain and Edna VanLoenen are the charter members. The Auxiliary has been in charge of several projects during this time. They have donated between $2,000 and $3,000 to the hospital every year and they have volunteered from 4,000 to close to 7,000 hours every year.
These are some of the projects that they are in charge of:
- The reception desk at Graham County Hospital
- Spring and Fall Luncheon
- Stuffed animals for children when they are patients
- Assist swing bed patients
- Coordinate six Blood Mobiles a year
- Coordinate the “Tough Enough to Wear Pink” campaign to assist breast cancer patients
- Assist with bingo at Dawson Place, the local nursing home
- Make tray favors and treats for residents of Dawson Place and Sealy House
- Assist at the Health Fair
- Additional projects throughout the year
The auxiliary meets the third Monday of the month at 9:30 a.m. in the Telemed Room. For further information call the Auxiliary President, Carol Larcom, at 421-2883 or any auxiliary member.